Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2010 07:33:24 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
That's an interesting point.  I have been feeding syrup with EO for years, but only have been playing with nucs for the past three years.  I DID have a nuc swarm on me last year (when I opened it, which was an interesting and kind of cool experience, especially since I caught the swarm and put it it another nuc), but they were jam-packed (was planning to do a split) and not being fed at the time.

On a side note, I have not had good luck with using thyme oil along with the spearmint and lemongrass I traditionally use.  Added thyme oil this year after following the earlier discussion on this list about dosage.  This is the first year in memory that the bees did not take syrup.  It sat and sat and sat in the division feeders.  Eventually, after about 3 weeks a couple of colonies took it, but that is in stark contrast to years past.  Granted, we began our flow early this year, but with EO in the syrup, I've always had bees take it pretty much anytime.  Am feeding some nucs now without the thyme oil, and they are taking the syrup fine.  Weird.  In the fall, if/when I do some supplemental feeding, I may try splitting between syrup with and without thyme oil.

###################################
Bill
Claremont, NH
+43.35687 +43° 21’ 25”
-72.3835   -72° 23’ 01”
CWOP: D5065
Weather Underground: KNHCLARE3
HonetBeeNet: NH001

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at: