From:
Ray Nabors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:54:55 CDT
     Carbaryl is deadly to bees. They can pick it up on their feet and
     carry it back to the colony. The XLR formulation is the lesser of two
     evils. It will kill some bees but usually not the colony. Unlike
     purethroid insecticides which kill bees in the field before they get
     back home, a field bee can transport carbaryl home before dying. This
     can result in larval death within the colony. If a colony is
     inadvertantly sprayed with carbaryl that colony is likely to die as a
     result. Other alternatives include any of the pyrethroid insecticides
     labelled or malathion or methoxychlor or a mix of malathion and
     methoxychlor. Any of these products should be sprayed in the evening
     after the bees leave the field. This gives the insecticide time to
     leave the field. You did not mention the crop so I am not sure about
     specific insecticide recommendations.
                                Ray Nabors