Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:44:47 -0500
Lloyd said abou  t<about using treated seed.  "I've heard of  it, but we
don't use any and I
don't know anyone who does" .... "Don't use  any."  "No one around here
sprays corn."  >

What we found last year in IL and Indiana - everyone uses treated  seed.
Very little spraying of corn with insecticides, except sweet  corn.
Herbicides are used, in the field, on the margins btw corn fields  and pavement of
roads such as barrow pits, etc.

When we got back to Montana, we asked our  'organic farmers' about  treated
seed.  They ALL use treated seed:

1)  Some didn't even know it was treated, they order out of  catalogues,
2)  Now that they know its is treated, they'd still order the treated  seed
- they know  the seed by Trade names THAT they have  found work for them,
3)  They don't use any sprays,
4)  We've been on the hunt for sources of untreated seed -  it  can be had,
but there are only a handful of organic/heritage seed companies in  the US
that provide untreated seed.

So, I suspect the farmers in Lloyd's area do as our  'organic'  farmers,
they buy the seed they can get, may not even realize  its  treated.

Jerry