From:
Steve Petrilli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2016 14:03:03 -0500
Since SHB seems to be the "hot" topic,  I recalled  a video I had seen.   I searched this forum and did not see it posted here so I really do not know where I first encountered it, but I remembered I had saved the link to it on my Iphone.

A Florida bee keeper/inventor has developed a possible solution to keeping SHB from entering the hive (or at least minimizing SHB getting into the hive).     It involves using a 2 step process of application of Never Wet which makes a metal (aluminum) surface so slick, the SHB cannot climb or walk on it.

http://youtu.be/FfnefkJSfBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfnefkJSfBs&feature=youtu.be

Either link above should work

At the end of the video, he also suggests using more than just #8 hardware cloth for the screened inner covers.  If the SHB cannot get in via the front door, they will try any access point they can (sort of like robber bees)    He suggests also putting a layer of regular window screen on your screened inner covers to prevent it.  While the SHB can fit through #8 hardware mesh, a fully grown adult cannot fit through window screen.

One of these days,  I intend to  make one to see how it works.  It is really just retrofitting an existing solid bottom board and the bottom edges of the bottom brood box.

If anyone else out there already knows about it and has tried it, please share your results and experience with trying it.

Steve