From:
Kathryn Kerby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2014 22:49:09 -0700
I have no objection to spending $8 million on projects which will actually
promote, protect, and/or conserve pollinators, or at least further research
and/or education about same.  I do have objections when some groovy-sounding
project is set up by folks who have no idea what they're doing, and then
they squander the money on feel-good measures which gain headlines and win
over voters yet don't actually contribute anything useful or helpful to the
situation.

If this new program actually involves people who know what they're doing,
and it contributes something useful and beneficial, fabulous.  If it's just
a bunch of big-wigs sitting around some corporate meeting room who have
never actually looked at a hive or walked a field or meadow, and then sold
the idea to someone at the USDA, I suspect that $8m will evaporate and not
much will change.  That's a big part of why I asked if anyone knew about
this program and/or who's involved with it.  The experience, training and
goals of the people involved will probably determine how successful that
project will ultimately be.
Kathryn Kerby
Frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA