From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2010 11:12:04 -0400
> I would like to see Peter produce research which proves bleach will not kill nosema spores!

> When you read the list of things bleach will kill how possibly could nosema spores on comb survive?

I am glad you wrote these things. First, it is not incumbent upon me to prove it won't work. You need to prove it does, otherwise the assumption stands that it doesn't. If you make a claim, and I say prove it, it isn't my job to do your work.

* Null hypothesis. In hypothesis testing, proposition that undergoes verification to determine if it should be accepted or rejected in favor of an alternative proposition. Often the null hypothesis is expressed as "There is no relationship between two quantities." http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/null-hypothesis.html

Second, if the spores are not touched by the chlorine, they won't die. Such as, if they are in honey, pollen, dead brood, dead bees in cells, under burr comb, the list goes on. I have already pointed this out. The New Zealand study makes a point of this as well.

Third, household bleach can degrade into chloroform which further degrades into phosgene.

> Sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) and many organic chemicals contained in household cleaning products may react to generate halogenated volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Halogenated VOC emissions from eight different chlorine bleach containing household products (pure and diluted) were investigated by headspace experiments. Chloroform and carbon tetrachloride were the leading compounds along with several halogenated compounds in the headspace of chlorine bleach products. -- Halogenated Volatile Organic Compounds from the Use of Chlorine-Bleach-Containing Household Products. MUSTAFA ODABASI

> Researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles were using a three-year-old bottle of chloroform. They noticed that the people working with the chloroform were becoming quite ill. The chloroform had been properly stored and was stabilized with amylene. Subsequent analysis showed concentrations of 15,000 ppm of phosgene in the headspace of the bottle and a 1.1% concentration of phosgene in the bulk solution. Ultraviolet light will accelerate the formation of phosgene. -- Danger of Phosgene Generation from Unstabilized Chloroform

Finally, the testing of various disinfectants showed that by the end of the summer, all the hives had about the same levels of nosema, proving it doesn't make any difference if you disinfect the combs or not, which is my original point. Another thing at issue is whether nosema even causes serious harm to colonies in northern climates.

PLB