From:
Medhat Nasr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:44:47 -0600
Randy said:
No, sure haven't.  I don't think that I've ever seen a bee kill
associated with varroa in the spring--mite populations are generally
lowest then.
comments:

I am not sure about the above statement. This depends on your mite control
program. We have mites that peak up in the spring if the colonies were not
treated in the fall. Right now we have mites are in peak in some
operations, because these beekeepers did not treat in spring. We have many
operations with almost zero mites, because they used Apivar last spring.
Therefore, these guys are not treating for varroa this fall. Canadian
Prairie's spring can be really funny. Weather will turn around in June in
some years.

If there any other virus or explanation, It will help us to understand
things better. At this time, we don't have samples stored to go back and
confirm what is suggested.

By the way, I have seen Chalkbrood killed colonies in Alberta. I have
never seen this in my life, but it happened.

Medhat