Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:41:28 GMT
>>...there is no reason to think that the cause of Colony Collapse
Disorder is "anything other than Mother Nature.''

I would challenge this point.  As it has been reported, CCD has been
identified only in [some] managed colonies [which are not under
exclusive Mother Nature's care!].  The commercial environment and
exploitation of bees puts them under greater stress than the
conditions in the wild.

CCD would have to be identified in feral colonies for the statement
to be true.  I have not heard that it has been and I looking forward
to this season's colony removals from structures/trees.  Here in NY
suburbia, I have not heard from beekeepers that I know are good
beekeepers that they have experienced unusual losses in the last 12
months.

The man-influenced environment likely plays a role too in any
imbalances leading to CCD.  GMO crops and pesticides are potential
contributors.  I recently read an article that said there
was 'anecdotal' evidence from farmers that, presented with both,
their livestock would consume non-GMO feed before even approaching
the GMO type.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY