From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2014 11:15:30 -0500
> If the results are negative, sit down and shut up.

Often, "negative" or inconclusive results are the result of a poorly designed study. For example, we studied screened bottom boards for years and never could "show" any effect. This _could have_ been due entirely to drifting between treatment and control hives. In other words, the control has to be a valid control so that any difference will be related to a valid cause and effect relationship. On the other hand, I don't think screened bottoms do anything, so the results made sense to me. Another example is drone trapping. It has been shown to be very effective in curtailing the development of varroa mites. Yet, when I did it, I saw a huge increase in mites in August despite the conscientious removal of drone brood. I concluded it was due to reinfestation due to bees picking up mites from the environment, a variable which is very difficult to control.

PB