From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2017 14:13:19 -0500
We have had problems with baggie feeders when temperatures swing from warm to freezing.  The bags glug, pooring syrup over bees and the cluster, then congealing with cold.   In summer, if bag dumps on bees, they can clean up.  In winter, it's likely to be lethal.

In our cold climate, if they need feed in fall/winter/early spring, we prefer to feed using surplus honey frames, if we have them.  Otherwise, we feed dry.  I've tried the fondant, sugar bricks, etc.  Like crystallized honey, if bees are hungry, they will consume, even if it is just loose, dry sugar.  In fact, it seems that they like it as well or better than the solid form. I know folks may say - but they need moisture to dissolve sugar.  Doesn't seem to be any more of a problem with dry sugar than with crystallized honey.  They seem to manage just fine.

I'm still on the fence of providing sugar/pollen/pollen substitute combo.  Obviously, sugar will keep them from starving.  Protein, that has other consequences.  Our queens seldom quit laying in Sept/Oct; don't resume until March unless Feb is very mild.  We almost always get cold weather end of Dec, a thaw mid-Jan that gets bees active, then more times than not we go into the coldest weather of the year in Feb.  Jan thaw is time to check stores, add food as needed.  NOT the time to add protein if it leads to the queen resuming laying - normally that doesn't happen, and for good reason.  Feb is too early.  March weather up and down.  April/May dandelions bloom, so our season where foragers are needed begins about mid-April, most years.