From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:47:02 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From:   Inger Lamb [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Tuesday, December 18, 2001 11:35 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        hive inspections

Hello Inger and All,
Many libraries carry "Beekeeping in the United States" Ag. Handbook no. 335 put out by the USDA. Although outdated the book lists all states regulations at the time of printing on pg. 120 through 124.
Some regulations have changed but many are the same.
Inger wrote:
I am looking for information about state hive inspection.  In some old  postings it looks like Florida shifted to having the beekeepers pay a  fee for their inspections.  Is this the case today, and if so how has it  worked?
Most beekeepers feel the inspections should be free. IF INSPECTIONS WERE FREE I WOULD DEMAND EACH HIVE INSPECTED EVERY SEVEN DAYS AND ONLY LEAVE THE OFFICE TO CHECK THE INSPECTORS WORK AND CORRECT PROBLEMS HE FINDS
 Here in Iowa we just lost our state apiarist and we are trying  to figure out what to do to maintain a monitoring system for our hives.
I would check all the coffee stops between the last location the state apiarist was seen at and his office. Kidding!
Many states are eliminating the inspection system (Arizona) and others are beefing up inspections(Illinois)
 How do other states monitor their hives?
Most only check a small percentage of migratory beekeepers hives either entering or leaving the state .Most states require permits for movement in and out of their state. from migratory beekeepers.   Most states with bee inspectors will inspect a hive if you call and suspect you have found a problem (small hive beetle or American foulbrood).
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Ps. I am going to get myself in trouble but I personally would eliminate inspections unless a problem arises. I  also think the policy the state of Illinois is pushing is absurd  of getting an inspection and permit each time hives are moved across county lines within the state of Illinois. When the beekeeper operates in many counties within the state getting a permit each time he moves between counties is absurd.(in my opinion)