From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:15:46 -0700
I also didn't find screened bottoms to make any noticeable difference in
mite buildup.

I also have not found any material other than expensive metal that works
well to slide into the entrance to cover the screen.  Due to the limitation
of beeway space, the sheet would have to be thin.  Masonite and corrugated
signboard warp too much.  Other materials are too expensive for large scale.
 Has anyone found anything that works well that is inexpensive?

>One suggestion that seems plausible to me is that screens may help
> eliminate mites which show some resistance to acaricides and are only
> stunned by the chemicals by getting them out of the hive.

Allen, this is an important point, and according to one scientist involved
with Apivar amitraz strips, of consideration.  One really doesn't need to
kill any mites, so long as you simply prevent them from reproducing.  Any
substance that alters the ability of the mite to successfully hitchhike,
identify a cell with a propupa in it, and then to get off the adult bee and
then into the jelly, and then into the cocoon, will not be able to
reproduce.

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
www.ScientificBeekeeping.com