From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2011 08:04:20 -0500
Hello All,
The Richard Adee interview took time to find. My longtime friend and editor
of Bee Culture magazine Kim Flottum searched and found the article. Both of
us guessed as to the actual number and were off but we both agreed if
Richard would be asked today the figure would be 2000 due to the
advancements in extracting systems (Cowen)and the fact the Adee operation
has moved from the  clumsy and dangerous ( my opinion) hand driven single
hive loaders.

My experience comes mainly from the Horace Bell honey operation I have been
involved with since the operation started. The Bell operation was one of the
first to adopt pallets for hives and forklifts for moving hives. The Adee &
Bell operations worked together in many areas. Depopulation of Adee hives
before bee replacement in Mississippi was one area.
Eventually the Adee operation became more like the Bell operation. The
operation to call for semi loads of hives in any area of the U.S. before the
operation changed a few years ago was the Bell operation. No other operation
has trucked as many hives in the U.S. as the Bell operation. For decades the
Adee operation made the same moves year after year with production of honey
its main goal. Today the Adee migration has changed to include California
almond pollination.

bob