From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 15:50:37 -0500
We have, for many years made up nucs to winter over till the next
year, and every year had losses from 40-60% for various reasons. This
year I have tried a new idea of mine and up to now ( touch wood etc.)
have a 100% pass rate.
        In previous years we tried single box hives (ie. 10 frames), we've
tried them in packs, and mounted on top full hives and still lose a
number of them.
        Our latest idea entails some box modification but nothing beyond the
average woodworker. Here's what we did.
        Take a regular Lang box and rout a slot with a 1/4 bit, vertically
and centred, inside the box's short side and the opposite end. This
takes a piece of 1/4 ply which should slide down and be flush with
both top and bottom of the box, in effect making a double
compartment. Now fashion a folding inner cover. Ours are hinged in
the middle, which allows one side to be manipulated without
disturbing the other. Normal vent and feed holes should be supplied,
and for winter, top entrances are a must.
        The floor needs little alteration, just a piece front to back to
coincide with the centre plywood. You can't allow contact between one
side to the other. One final point, arrange the hive entrances at the
front of the long sides. Do not under any circumstances have both
entrances on the front short sides!!
        These alterations now will provide two compartments of 5 frames
each.
        As a trial we made up 5 units, giving us 10 nucs, didn't want to
risk too much at one go!! We used surplus Queens left over and made
up 5 frame nucs and installed them, very late in the season. Once
they were well established we had to empty our baby nucs for winter
storage, so shook approx 24 baby nucs in front and allowed them to
find a home.
        Here's the change. We know with our Northern climate that 5 frames
wouldn't be enough stores, we also know that bees eat their way
upwards. So, we added another box on top, prepared the same way with
a slide in separator, full of 5 frames of honey taken from full honey
supers. So in effect, we have two 10 frame hives in each wrap, 5
frames on top of 5 frames.
        Today is fairly warm, still below freezing, no wind and full sun.
The bees are all at the entrances peeking out, so I took a gamble
and had a peek under the covers. Sealed stores, and lots of bees. As
I said earlier 100% pass rate, every one looking good.
        Soon I should add some feed, come the spring we will split again,
add a Queen cell and make 10-5 frame nucs.
        If anyone would care to comment, or if I am not concise enough then
I would appreciate discussion.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171