From:
JamesCBach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JamesCBach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:50:02 -0700
Amy asks how to care for her beekeeping tools:

I wash my coveralls, veil, and leather gloves in the washing machine, when
they get too dirty looking, at medium water level.  I spray all heavy
propolis and soiled spots on the gloves and coveralls with Spray-N-Wash
(clothing stain remover) first.  Let the spots soak for an hour or two
before you wash.  I also add one half cup of S-N-W to the wash.  Use warm
water so that you dislodge the propolis but do not melt it to the barrel of
your machine to be picked up by delicate clothes at the next wash.

I then put the coveralls and gloves (give them a stretching) in the dryer on
medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes.  The veil can be dried in a towel and then
hung up somewhere to dry.  Upon taking the gloves from the dryer I stretch
them again and put them on, bend the fingers, make a fist etc. to give them
a good stretching.  You can also rub a leather softener into them when you
have them on, do the inside if you wish.

I clean my hive tools by scraping one with the other and washing them with
rubbing alcohol.  I then sharpen both ends with a medium file, or sharpening
stone.  Hive work, wax and propolis removal is easier if the tools are
sharp.

James C. Bach