From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 11:10:47 -0500
As promised here is the information on T-mite resistance.

TRACHEAL MITE TESTING.
     In 1990 Dr's Gard Otis, Cynthia Scott-Dupree and Medhat Nasr started
researching the possibility of breeding Tracheal mite (TM) resistant
bees. The bees were imported from U.K. by Dr Roger Morse of Cornell
University as a source of mite resistant bees. These U.K. bees have been
exposed to the TM since the turn of the century. Several colonies had
been selected naturally as resistant to mites. It turned out that these
bees were susceptible to chalk brood, agressive running off the combs.
        When the University of Guelph started their breeding program in
Western N.Y. they used some of these queens for their breeding program.
They selected the best mite resistant bees and crossed them to Canadian
bees and U.K. bees continuing for three generations. The resultant queens
have produced bees that are tolerant to mites. They carry 3-4 times less
mites in comparison to non-selected bees. These bees were imported to
Canada in 1993 & 1994. They are on an isolated Island in Northern Ontario
where a closed population is established.
        At the same time, the University of Guelph imported Buckfast bees
from the U.K. and Denmark. These bees were tested for TM resistance. They
have shown a good level of resistance and good honey production. Three
beekeepers from Ontario are registered with The Buckfast Abbey to produce
these queens in Ontario.
        Thus the breeding program in Western NY and importation of the
Buckfast bees from the U.K. put the breeding program in position to be
transferred to the Ontarion Beebreeders Assosiation's members. In 1994,
the Ontario Beekeepers Association hired Dr Nasr to work closely with
the Ontario Beebreeder's Association. The aim was to find and fix the
TM resistance, so when T-Mites came across our border we would be ready.
     It was during this preliminary research that the mechanism for TM
infestation was determined. T-Mites move into young host bees less than
4 days old. Once the bee reaches that age the bees are no longer
attractive to mites looking for a new host. The mites feed,and reproduce
in the bee's Trachea. After the mature females mate they leave their host
bee and look for a new host under 4 days old. With this observation it
was then possible to predict infestation levels.

     THE METHOD of quantifying resistance is reasonably easy to
understand. A frame of emerging brood as supplied by the beekeeper is
removed from a possible good breeder colony. This frame is incubated in
an incubator overnight. The following day, 80 bees which emerged during
the incubation period are tagged with coloured, numbered plastic tags.
Combs of hatching brood (80 combs/test) provided by the beebreeders to
Dr.Nasr. After tagging all of these bees (6400 bees) they were placed in
4 heavily TM infested colonies. The range of infestation is 60-90%. One
week later all the tagged bees were removed, sorted to their original
hive colours. Bees were stored in alcohol, then dissected to count the
number of adult, egg, and nymphs of mites in each bee. The results are
expressed as "X" mites per bee in "Y" number of bees, this is why we get
figures like 1/2 mite in 23% of our bees. It should be explained that the
beekeeper has nothing to do with the testing. This is done by Dr Nasr's
team, and an independant bee testing laboratory. Each beekeeper pays for
the privilege and supplies frames when requested.

     SELECTION: The selection of bees to be tested is entirely at the
beekeeper's discretion. Guidelines are supplied, for example Winterability,
brood pattern, hygeine, temper, forage ability, expressed as amount of
honey stores gathered, disease free. Each keeper selects the best hives
for the Queen mother and the best for Drone mothers.
     The aim is to control all areas of reproduction and mating, to
that end we add frames of drone foundation to our Drone mother hives.This
allows us to flood an area with desirable drones of our choosing.
These hives are placed outside our mating yards approximately 1-1 1/2
miles around the circumference of a circle. Obviously we select our best
hives, whilst trying hard to mantain mating diversity. Dr Nasr did some
experiments with close related mating i.e. Brother-Sister and the egg
laying pattern disintegrated. Instead of a solid pattern, holes appeared,
as the relationship got closer, then more and more holes appeared. So to
maintain a good pattern, we keep a 10 Queen line diversity. In other words,
each of our 10 lines are not related, and all are T-Mite resistant. Under
these conditions it is possible to predict the type of offspring, and it's
ability to withstand T-mite infestations. We will never irradicate t-mite
completely, they are here to stay, but, like Europe and the UK it will be
possible to virtually ignore them.
        Our grateful thanks to Dr Medhat Nasr for his encouragement during
this project and his continued support. I believe, in time, beekeepers
everywhere in North America will appreciate his magnificent achievements.

Names and addresses of some of the bee breeders involved, if you need all,
please contact
                The Ontario Beekeepers Assoc,
                Bayfield,
                Ontario, Canada, N0M 1G0

        The Beeworks,                   Barry Davies,
        9 Progress Drive,               RR 1,
        Orillia, Ontario,               Seeley's Bay,Ontario,
        L3V 6H1                         K0H 2N0
        705-326-7171                    613-387-3171

        Rick Nielsen,                   Neil Orr,
        RR 1,                           PO Box 91,
        Stratton, Ontario,              Wooler, Ontario,
        P0W 1N0                         K0K 3M0
        807-487-2387                    613-359-1228

        Ernst Bayer,                    David Van Der Dussen,
        R.R. 2,                         P.O. Box 142,
        Mitchell, Ontario,              Stirling, Ontario,
        N0K 1N0                         K0K 3E0
        519-348-9128                    613-395-5398

I make no claims or promises for the above, you will need to negotiate on
your own terms with each one.

On a personal level. We are commercial bee breeders, not interested in
producing 1000s of Queens, our aim is more quality than quantity. As
responsible breeders we want our customers to get the most out of our
bees. To this end we offer, when you order, an information sheet
explaining our way of introducing replacement queens. For our Southern
Cousins, you can import bees into the USA without problems, by mail. We
have attached our price list.

HTM RESISTANT QUEEN BEES

        In the past years, everyone has heard a lot of discussions about
 Acarapis woodi or the Honeybee Tracheal Mite (HTM).
        You must have a concern for the future of your colonies whether
you are a Commercial or Hobby Beekeeper. The approach YOU take to the HTM
threat will determine if your Hobby or Business is to continue.
        All Beekeepers should be maintaining an IPM (Integrated Pest
Management) programme in their apiary. It does not matter if you are in
an active HTM area or not, the first and LONG TERM step is to re-queen
with HTM Resistant Stock.
        In our Queen Rearing programme our goal is to "BREED A BETTER BEE"
for you!!!
        Using forty five years experience and the information offered in
"Queen Rearing" by the Ontario Bee Assoc, with the assistance and guidance
of Dr Medhat Nasr and Doug McRory, Provincial Apiarist, our stock is now
in place for 1996.
        By maintaining a variety of tested genetic lines of the Buckfast
and Ontario stocks, we are able to offer to you HTM Resistant Queens,
starting early June 1996.
        Our yards are inspected on an annual basis and have been
declared/certified mite free for 1995. With our isolated mating yards and
our routine feeding of FUMIDIL-B (against Nosema) we produce Queens of
amazing vigour. Our bees winter well, they are frugal with winter stores
and start quickly in the Spring.
        Now is the time to consider IPM in your yards, not when your hives
are on the decline.

                                Price List

 Fully Mated.  Proven & Tested Queens              $11.00 US each
 Virgin Queens                                      $6.00 US each
 3 & 5 Frame Nucs Price on request

 All shipments made by Priority Post. Please add $11.00 US.
50% deposit with order, balance before shipment.

   * David J. Eyre CEO    9, Progress Drive, Unit 2,     *
   * The Beeworks        Orillia, Ont, Canada, L3V 6H1 *
   * [log in to unmask]    (705) 326 7171           *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks                     *