From:
Jørn Johanesson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 1997 13:18:42 +-200
Yesterday a mail arrived in my Inbox from Allen Dick [log in to unmask]
I have been in touch with Allan in the thread it opened : Does Bidata Work? and I thought that we came to an end off the discussion in a good manner.

I am now aware of that Allan Dick posted his opening letter in Best of Bees! it is Okay, if he also had posted the rest of the disputes there. As it is now I feel that it is needed to defend myself and use up some of your time and some Internet bandwide unnecessary. Why I feel this need is because of this quote from the message in Best of Bees :

        In spite of vigorous  promotion by the author over many months, I
        cannot recall even one person writing in to say that they use
        Bidata software and that it installed well and is in regular use
        to their full satisfaction. I have, however heard a number of
        fairly serious complaints.  For that reason I have advocated
        caution in d/ling and using it thus far.

As some of you hopefully recall I have done my best to beg about forgiveness
and to help those out, where the download have giving trouble. I even created an Uninstall software for the win3.1 edition, that at the same time will work as a removal of the expired information , so that people could give it another shot.

But enough about this matter. I have replaced the faulty archive on :
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/agriculture/entomology/beekeeping/general/bin/Apimo/
and got confirmation from Adam Finkelstein that this was done.

Now when I am writing this, I want to give you some information about who I am, the EDBi foundation and how it came to this software.

I am Danish living in Denmark and born 1942 (Yes I am not that young any longer) I was a teacher and have been keeping bees since 1970. official I have some few hives, but have material enough for thirty hives. I am using full Langstrooth and my bees are regional bees. I have an average Honey harvest of 45kg a year, which is an improvement from my first years where I had around 15kg. I got my first computer (a Zx81) in 1981 and started to investigate in programming for this animal :-) It had as little as 8k memory but it was fun. in 1996 in put a fortune into a real computer (Amstrad 1512) and from that on the next story starts:  the EDBi foundation.

I heard that there was a foundation for EDB interested beekeepers under construction, and got in touch with them to see if they had some software I could use for my beekeeping. It turned out that they had none, but was looking for people that could help them in this matter. I of course have build my own software, so I offered to work voluntary for them in creating a software useful as a toll within Beekeeping. The first result was a ms DOS based hivenote collecting software. I of course based this software on inputs from the members of the EDBi foundation. This software was offered to the Danish beekeeper society in 1987. The members in the EDBi foundation was my testing crow, and with the time the software improved and got better. The members in EDBi is all kind of people, with from some very few hives to people who are living from Beekeeping. And some of those have been members from the very first start until to day. In 1994 I decided to create a win3.1 software based on my previous work. This software was presented on the Apimondia Congress in Lausanne Switzerland 1995. Here I got some very god contacts to people who have helped me to improve the language support.
in 1996 I tried to figure out this Internet story so I got an account with 5mb space. This have now improved in that, that some people on Internet have giving me space on their web's and I have also got my own web in Australia where I now is putting up a 'EDBi' Support web with discussions, bug reports and suggestions facilities. I really hope that people will use this web giving me respond concerning bugs and suggestions and for those interested it is placed on the following Url : http:// www.wn.com.au/apimo

on this above Url you also will find additional information about the Bidata Software, and the Pollen grain software that I am putting up for free to everyone who have interest in pollen.

Be sure of that I am doing my best not to disturb Your fun at Your computers.

I hope I have not been to much boring, and If I beg You about forgiveness.

Best Regards Jorn Johanesson