From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:23:44 -0800
Randy wrote:  "Lloyd Harris feels that the age of the queen and temperature are important
factors."

Two weeks ago, when I peeked into my OB hive to see if they had enough stores, I was surprised to see the bees covering capped brood.

This OB hives swarmed earlier in June and something happened to the queen.  She disappeared.  The remaining bees kept it going, albeit broodless, and dwindled down to a small population.

I got a frantic call from a homeowner who had a swarm in late September (HIGHLY unusual for SE Missouri).  I didn't want it, but they had one of those "but you have to save the bees" laments in their call.

I picked it up and let it move into the OB hive, setting the swarm at the opening.  I marked the queen.  Surprisingly, they are doing well and raising brood in December.

The OB hive is a single stack of three brood frames, plexiglass covered with a piece of 1" styrofoam.  It sits in my unheated, though protected, honey house.

Grant
Jackson, MO