From:
Dennis Murrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 19:22:37 -0600
Aaron asked:

>Were those "100 or so" from multiple queens or a
>single colony.  How soon after the colony(s) was/were given the open
mated
>SMR daughter queen(s) were the small sample size tests run?  It's not
hard
>to recognize holes in the evaluation.

Hello Everyone,

The "100 or so" I referred to were from several frames in one hive
reflecting a single observation that mite reproduction was limited and
that cells with adult mites were being actively targeted by the bees. I
have been observing this behavior in multiple hives with different queen
lineages. I have removed the purple eyed pupa and noted the adult mites
with absence of mites in other uncapped cells, even the drones. But I had
not searched for the immatures before.

The open mated queens(Harbos) were obtained from Weavers in Texas and
installed on 5/17/01.

> Aaron Morris - thinking Bob's 2-yr test period is about spot on!

I agree that Bob's test is about spot on especially for Bob, his bees,
style and requirements. But what about each individuals conditions and
needs? The observations of others such as the Lusby's, Hines, etc and
their testing periods for their methods now exceeds the time that Bob
rightly suggests. SMR may make the transition in these approaches easier
and faster.

Their methods may not be suitable for everyone, in every location or meet
every ones needs because the real test is an individual one. This is a
great time for beekeepers everywhere to try for themselves these
promising approaches. I am grateful for the effort and the willingness of
others to share their experiences and observations.

Best Wishes and Hoping some don't miss planting the crop while watching
the clouds for rain:>)

Dennis Murrell