Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2018 05:20:57 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
>> In fact it is less harsh on bees due to even distribution of bees inside the hive. Vapour will settle on bees evenly.

> As a person with an engineering background, I don't believe that the statement above would be accurate. As we all know from opening hives for years, there is typically an uneven distribution of bees in a hive (day and night) with the exception of possibly during summer or winter (depending where you are) when the temperature is more moderate. Then there is the issue of where in the entrance is the treatment administered in relation to both the bee mass and ventilation pattern.

> Common sense leads me to believe (there may be studies on this) that as the density/distribution of bees inside the hive changes (night/day) due to change in temperature and foraging, air circulation throughout the hive is going to change based upon need. So depending upon when you treat there may be a MORE even distribution of OA vapor/crystals than at other times, but we can't just assume that it will be EQUAL everywhere! 

Of course, my statement could have nothing to do with effectiveness of the OAV treatment.
Scott Ball
Livermore, CA
The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2