From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:17:16 +0100
"Bob Harrison said: "> I do not see the cerana need now as we have got bees
with the SMR trait and
> Russian bees . Several new varroa control methods are working the way to
the
> beekeepers (Sucrose Octanote Esters and Api Life Var).

> On the other hand when checkmite & Apistan  fails to provide control the
> larger beekeeper is going to experience trouble. I predict the main
problems
> will come a couple years from now when varroa infestation caused by
> checkmite resistant and apistan resistant varroa reach high levels in fall
> and  none of the controls available will save a hive reaching threshold
> (like the strips did) or are simply to labor intensive  to treat with when
> dealing with thousands of varroa infested hives."
>
> The prediction of trouble comes from all the controls mentioned are still
'single bullets' - needing repeated applications which are so time
consuming - and which if overlooked, leave the clony open to disaster.  Bees
have survived pests and parasites for millions of years because pest and
host developed a balanced relationship - vaooa is such a problem because man
forced the pace by moving colonies and allowing a sudden jump across the
species , not gradual introduction.  So Russian bees sound so interesting -
we know nothing of them in UK I think - an early post in the archive
indicated they came from the far east , presumably from an area that borders
A cerana and so they have had the opportunity to develop a balanced
relationship with varooa over a long time.
A problem presumably will be keeping the strain pure?  Constant
re-queening - as hybrids will not be so good from what other posts are
saying.
Another way to get back to a balanced relaionship is still under development
at Rothamstaed, but not mentioned by Bob - introducing a self-sustaining,
mite-killing  fungus into the hive environment .  Fungus were known to kill
mites and Rothamstead has found several types effective against varooa. Once
a suitable fungus is introduced (one that does not produce unwanted side
effects),  hopefully mites would never rise above a sub-clinical level - and
(evolution theory tells us) as fast as varooa evolve resistance to the
fungus so would the fungus evolve new virulence to mites, ijn a way single
chemicals cannot do.
Did Bob consciously not include fungus as a way forward into the future
beause he knows more than I have heard? Or is Rothamstead just keeping very
quiet until its tests are over?

Robin Dartington