From:
Eric Abell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 1995 07:36:55 -0600
On Fri, 21 Apr 1995, (Alistair Carr RS/RC (608) 221-6363) wrote:

> Fellow Bee-Heads,
>
> I have to make a decision, and wondered if anyone out there can help me with
> any advice or opinions.
>
> I have been keeping bees for about a year, fulfilling an ambition I have had
> since I was 10 or 11.  Finally I stopped playing the vagrant student,
> settled down and bought a hive.  It has proven to be every bit as fascinating
> and satisfying as I hoped - even a duel with Varroa to spice it up !
>
> Anyway...this spring I would like to split my one hive, and start a second,
> partly to forestall swarming, partly to satisfy an urge to multiply ;).  I live
> in south-central Wisconsin, in the enlightened city of Madison, where I am an
> urban guerilla beekeeper operating illegally (no, I don't wear camouflage
> overalls and keep my hive in a bunker)..more on that situation another time.
>
> My present colony is Dadant's  Midnite hybrid, and I want the second colony
> also to be gentle.  My choice of locally bred queens is between an Italian
> strain, which I am led to believe is quite docile, and a Carniolan strain.  My
> understanding is that perhaps the Carniolan would be more suited to northern
> climes, but may produce less honey (not a big deal to me), and be prone to
> swarming.  My concern with the Italians is that they could be more irritable,
> and perhaps winter less well here.  Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
>
> Gotta fly now, I hear sirens....
>

> Alistair

You said honey is not a concern.  Then why not let the bees do most of
the work.  There are lots of ways to split - the object here being to
move some bees and brood into a new brood chamber and let them raise
their own Queen.

Perhaps the most basic would be to wait until your colony occupies the
best part of 2 brook chambers - with brood in both of them.  Best to
check to see if there are eggs in both chambers because these eggs are
going to become your new queen.  If there are not already eggs in both
chambers simply rearrange the brood so that there is.

Now separate these 2 chambers and place them side by side.  Chances are
good that the flying bees will distribute themselves evenly enough
to avoid loss of brood.  If they don't then either move some bees around
or reverse their position.  One chamber will have a Queen - 1 will not.
It does not matter which one - you can look for eggs in 4 days and see
for yourself.  Then sit back and wait for your new Queen to emerge, mate
and lay some eggs.  It is not very high tech but it is a nice feeling to
think you had some small part in producing a new Queen.

I realize you have not controlled the drone line with which your Queen
will mate but I would think your bees will be gentle anyway.

Good luck and have fun!

Eric Abell                           email: [log in to unmask]
Gibbons, AB, T0A 1N0
Canada
(403) 998 3143