From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 21:29:56 -0500
Hello Jim Smith & All,
I think a fence will be cheaper but a reefer would work if in the shade.
Temps would reach 120 F. the reefer on a hot day in the sun. Ventilation
would be a problem.
Tires are a problem if left in place very long.

Bear fence:
Good ground for bear to stand on. cattle panels or fencing on ground hooked
to copper rod 3 ft. in ground . Hot fence with bacon hanging on wires.

Against the law but I have heard of beeks hooking up 110 to the wires.

Nose and mouth parts when shocked get the bears attention. Bare feet pads
make a good ground.

Bears are harder to control once the bear/bears have been in the yard and
tasted the honey.

 In bear country a strong fence should go up before the
bear finds the yard. Only a novice would set a yard in bear country without
a fence.

I have had discussions with Peta people over the above.

 My position has
always been no bear has died from a shock from a electric fence. The
alternative is usually a bullet in the head which is not needed . relocating
the bear usually means you simple move the bear into another beeks territory
and he/she may be using the second option.

It has always been my experience that it is cheaper to buy a fence than lose
a yard of bees to bear damage.

The University of Montana at their web site has directions ( video) on a
bear proof fence.

Hastily put up fences are usually the fences bears get through.

Jerry Brumenshenk has greater experience with bears than I have however I
have cleaned up after bears and built fence.

bob