From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 22:06:44 +1000
Just wanted to share a beekeeping experience with you.

Whilst loading honey on the truck while my partner investigated brood boxes,
there was a call for urgent assistance on the smoker.  Unfortunately I
neglected to check my own suit was adequately fastened and no sooner had I
arrived amongst the agitated bees than a very annoyed bee found its way in
and made threatening noises in my ear.

As an instinctive reaction I slapped my hand over the noise-maker to attempt
to prevent further assaults while I moved clear of the mob.  By the time I
had got behind the truck the bee had disappeared entirely - into my ear.

My partner attempted to see it while I gave progress reports of the tickling
sensation as tiny bee feet attempted to move around corners - I was
surprised by how much space there was.  The bee was not visible from outside.

The recommended first aid treatment for insects in ears (float out with warm
water) did not seem appropriate out in the field, so we settled for a few
puffs from the smoker to disorient it.

I reclined, with that ear towards the sun, for several minutes reporting on
the bee's attempts to turn around.  It then decided to back out and did so
at length, eventually emerging into daylight. I did not actually get stung,
before, during or after.

I think this is one experience I prefer to have happen once in a lifetime!

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]
http://kigateway.kin.on.net/hogbay/hogbay1.htm

Why not visit the South Australian Superb Websites Ring?
http://kw.mtx.net/sawebring/sawebring.html