From:
Marc Sevigny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 09:14:20 -0500
I'm relatively new to the list.

I constructed two deeps and 20 frames in anticipation for the arrival of my
first shipment next week.  I've been doing some reading, but I couldn't find
answers to some of my basic questions.

I live in Central Massachusetts.  The weather here is still wintery (below
freezing at night, cool during the day (50F on average).

Is introducing the bees to the hive typically done so early in the season (we
still have a deep snowpack, although that is not typical)?

1. The books that I borrowed suggested introducing the bees in the evening.  I
assume that means in the daylight before dusk, is that right?

2. When I get the bees and feed them, do I try to keep them warm?  Is there
stress introduced by bringing them from warm conditions outside into the cold?
 How is this potential stress minimized?

3. From what I read, they suggest hiving the bees as soon as possible.  Should
weather be a factor in making this decision?  I can hive them the day they
arrive, but is it better to wait for the next day or two if the weather will
be warmer or dryer?

4. Any good ideas for embedding the wax foundations into the wire?  I don't
have an electric gizmo, and dont have an embedding wheel.  What do-it-yourself
methods are practical from things found around a typical house?

That's it for now.  I'm excited and looking forward to this list's advice.

Marc Sevigny
Harvard, Mass