From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 21:26:20 -0600
Lance Gillette wrote:

> I'm becoming a new beekeeper next month. If a box is 9 5/8" deep and the
> frames for it are 9 1/8" tall there will be 1/2" space above and below the
> frames. This is 1/8" more than the maximum allowable bee space. People
> recommend this size equipment but when I email them this question I get no
> reply. How is this supposed to work?
>
> Lance Gillette
The worse problem you should run into is a little burr comb. I have seen
equipment with not enough space above for the bees to cross the top of
the frames. Personally i wouldn't give it another thought but if the
1/8" bothers you you could add a stoller frame rest or after the
foundation is drawn go to a nine frame spacer. You could add a 1/8 piece
of wood on shelf but i don't think it would hold up over time to shelf
cleaning with a hive tool. I have spaced shelfs with 1/4" wood on some
old equipment i purchased and they held up ok. Through the years i have
seen many different depths of shelf cuts.
Beekeeping needs new beekeepers so if you have questions fire away!
R.P.Harrison