From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 13:28:31 -0700
Carl wrote> If we are talking about "varroa specific hygienic
behavior" then the mite resistance is much greater.

I have found this to be true.  VSH appears to be much more important
to mite control than liquid-nitrogen tested "hygienic behavior."

In virtually every study I've read, VSH appears to be the main mechanism.

Another factor appears to be post capping time, which would be a
plausible explanation for the purported benefit of small cell.
Anecdotal reports suggest that there is a substantial difference, but
I'm looking for hard data.

 I'm looking for published or unpublished data to confirm/dispute any
difference in postcapping duration due to cell suze--if anyone has
any, would you please post or send off list?

I discussed our differing results between HSC frames, and her wax
small cell foundation with Jennifer prior to posting my findings on my
website.  Clearly makes me curious as to the mechanisms that would
result in such difference, as I state in the discussion.  I'm also
curious as to what mechanisms would *increase* varroa in her small
cell trial.

In any case, I'm heartened to finally see controlled trials being
conducted in this area after so much hooting and hollering.

Randy Oliver