Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2014 09:00:43 -0400
Tried the heat gun for decapping frames and it worked fine. It is great for
hobby beekeepers. Takes a few seconds to uncap a frame, both sides. There
are occasional holidays but much less than I had with either a hot knife or
scratch decapper. Plus, the mess is near zero compared to them. Got mine
from Amazon, a Wagner 700-1000 watt heat gun which was #1 seller.

I work in our kitchen and spread poly sheets on the floor. Before heat gun,
there would be drippings between the uncapping station and the extractor.
With the heat gun there were none. Cleanest extraction I have ever had.
Only drops of honey on the floor were from my tipping the extractor to get
the last of the honey and then only a few drops.

Also rigged a 1/2 inch drill to the extractor and life is good. Between the
two, I cut the time I normally need to less than half. Plus the frames were
near dry. No aches or pains, an added benefit especially with my torn bicep.

The only drawback is zero wax, but I like that since the strainers were
also zero wax so had no issues with clogging. I have plenty of wax from
prior extractions and old frames.

All in all, a happy camper.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine