From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:03:55 -0600
> This is my second year in beekeeping and I am having severe problems in
> seeing eggs.

The trick is the same as seeing AFB scale:  You must stand with a strong
light behind you and shining over your shoulder so it illuminates the cell
interior.  The sun is the best source of light for this.  If you get the
angle right, the whole interior will be full of light and everything will
be obvious..

At that point, of course having a dark comb makes seeing the white egg
easier, but the eggs are pretty obvious if you have good light and
decent natural vision -- or glasses that focus at an appropriate distance.

If your vision is poor, go to the drugstore and get a $10 pair of reading
glasses, (preferably the little ones that sit on the end of your nose and
over which you can peer at people and other more distant objects).

...And, if the weather is hot, don't forget to tie a rolled up bandana
around your forehead to keep the sweat out of your glasses.

Bonne chance.

Allen