From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 00:04:47 -0400
David Gaida wrote:

Goldenrod and aster is now in bloom
The problem is a "nasty" smell coming from the hives.  Diane says the smell

> is not as bad as rotten meat but definitely not pleasant.  She took all the
> boxes off and examined each.  The smell seems to be strongest in the honey
> or bee's food box.  Any ideas?

I suspect that the odor is that of ripening goldenrod/aster honey.  We always
get a sickly sweet, very strong odor, probably the same as that being reported
when the fall flow is in high gear.  It pervades the entire yard and is
definitely unpleasant.  However, when the honey is ripened, it's foul odor is
gone and it is a wonderful light honey, which granulates hard extremely
rapidly.  I am not sure whether the goldenrod or aster is responsible, since,
as you indicate, both are in bloom at roughly the same time.  I tend to think
it is the aster, since the early bloom is only goldenrod, and I never notice
the odor until later when the asters are beginning to bloom as well.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA