From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2017 10:25:49 -0400
> But as far as GE crops, there have not been any yet approved
> specifically to increase yields, so that was a rhetorical question.
> Utterly false - the sales pitch for every advance in agricultural technology
> promises higher yields.

I understood what was meant. All farming inputs, including genetic modification, are aimed at increasing yield. What was meant was specific genes that increase output have not been targeted. Rather, yield is indirectly increased by controlling pests, weeds, etc.

¶

quoted material
> So far, genetically modified crops have focused on yield protection – modifying crops to prevent them from dying because of weeds, bugs and lack of water. Since genetically modified crops were first introduced in the United States, yields have increased 37 percent in corn (introduced in 1996) and 21 percent in soybeans (introduced in 1994).

> Researchers like Dr. Stephen Long are working to make sure new genetic modifications boost yields.  “If you look at the current rate at which we’re improving the yield of our crops, we’re not going to get there ... So really, what we’re trying to discover is, are there other ways in which we’re able to increase crop yield?”

> “Our primary goal is to really make more productive plants that are ready if food shortages develop and particularly make more productive plants for sub-Saharan Africa because that’s where population growth is predicted to be among the largest in the world and being able to allow farmers that have plants that can feed the population within the region is going to be very important.”

From yield protection to yield boosting: GMO crops of the future
By Johnathan Hettinger  February 27, 2017
http://investigatemidwest.org/2017/02/27/from-yield-protection-to-yield-boosting-gmo-crops-of-the-future/