From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:39:38 EDT
All

This is VERY preliminary, but we have been looking at N. ceranae in our own
~60 colonies.  Most were started from packages this spring to replace  severe
losses.

Most were "free" of Nosema c. when we got the packages, but a few had  low
spore counts.  We treated EVERYTHING with fumadil at the label dose  level.  We
knew that dose level DID not provide protection/control last  fall, but we
wanted to stay within the label guidelines for dose.

Most of the treated colonies are still Nosema free, but a few are showing  up
with Nosema, and we are re-dosing.

Interestingly, we also had three survivor colonies - made it through the
winter.  These all had Nosema, one at very high levels.   One  dose did not yield
the hoped for results, but a 2nd dose did.  We're  continuing to check, but
it appears that one could/should dose, then re-dose -  just like we've done for
years with antibiotics.  Our doses were about a  week apart, and at the
legal, label dose.  As we read the label, it doesn't  say you can't repeat.  This
may be a better approach than doubling dose,  other practices that are
inconsistent with the label.  One, it follows  label guidelines, and more importantly,
it may do as well or better for  control.

We're monitoring Nosema c. in old and young bees from each colony,  have done
so since we installed the packages on May 5.   We test  weekly, dose if we
see it re-emerge, keeping good records.  By end of  summer, we should know how
well it all worked.

Jerry

P.S.  Don't forget, based on Robb Cramer's lab trials, Nosema c.  spores may
be heat sensitive - 120 degrees F for 90 minutes killed most of the  spores.
Easy to do with comb, unless you get heavy handed and melt the  wax.