From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:24:18 -0700
> The hygenic trait is an interesting one.  If you will
> indulge me an an analogy, I think I can demonstrate the
> flaw.

Hygienic behavior is costly to the colony, because the trait requires that a young larva or pupa be aborted and resources and labor associated with tending the larva wasted as well as future work force eliminated. But I would hesitate to call it a flaw.

The flaw, perhaps can be found in human behavior.  Breeders, as well as the scientific community seem to be promoting the hygienic trait as the only trait that exists for control of varroa.  Even one of the pioneers of hygienic behavior, Park, believed that hygienic behavior alone was not sufficient to explain all resistance to AFB.  So then, are we so naive to believe that hygienic behavior is sufficient to explain ALL resistance to varroa?  Perhaps, that hygienic behavior can be easily tested for and so easily observed, gives it most of the attention.  And a trait easy seen, perhaps allows 'monkey see betters', to 'monkey do better'.

Joe