From:
Kathy Hough <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 16:03:49 -0400
Garth,

It's always good to hear that somewhere else, yet another beekeeper is
able to successfully market their honey at a fair price.

In northeastern Mass., USA, we are currently getting $3.00 U. S. per
lb.(in 1 lb. size) retail and $2.25 per 1 lb. jar wholesale (case lots
only), though we may soon go up to $3.25 retail to not undercut our
wholesale customer's prices. Our honey is also what is considered *raw*,
not overheated (just warmed to ~100F for faster bottling) and not
micro-filtered.

> <snip>   I sell to diabetics and guarantee no sugar in the honey (for
> some reeason that is bad), so sell often up to 20 bottles a time.
> <snip>

Several  people are having  trouble with the <snipped> portion of your
original post.  I wonder if  you were trying to say that you guaranteed
your honey to be free of any *added* sugars, sugars that have not been
inverted by the bees??  If so, then you would be absolutely correct in
stating that this would be valuable to some diabetics.  Insulin
dependant diabetics, when they are not (sometimes cannot) controlling
their blood sugar levels, will feel light headed and weak if they need
to eat.  While some diabetics in the U.S. will grab for some candy when
this occurs, both fruit juices and honey are a better choice.  Honey (i
think) is the best choice because it is metabolized so quickly.

Just a guess, but I'll bet that a 3rd year Biochem/Microbio student at
Rhodes University knew that honey was ~80-87% sugars :-)

Kathy