From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 23:05:12 -0300
Hi Donald and All:

> In spring of 2010 both yards received a spring treatment with oxalic acid
> dribbled between frames .

and

> I treated the poor yard again with vaporized oxalic acid last week...

Since you use both vaporized and dribble, and also since you are apparently
much better than I at monitoring mite levels in your colonies (I am
impressed), could you elaborate a bit on why you use one or the other, and
also your impressions of the relative effectiveness of each (and maybe how
they compare with formic in your opinion).

I found the vaporizers too time consuming for a couple thousand hives, and
was really paranoid that I was breathing fumes (even with the respirator)
because it was impossible to take the extra time to let the hot spoons cool
between hives.  The dribble is just so easy, and the most user friendly and
inexpensive of all treatments.  But I have often wondered about the relative
effectiveness.  I tried it in the Philippines this winter on some really
heavily infested hives with poor results.

Regards
Stan