From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 17:49:56 -0600
Hello Robert & All,
Robert wrote:
 Conversion of sugars to the particular alcohol (ethanol) that has proven so
 problematic thru history is performed by yeasts  -  single-cell fungi  -
 and the resulting ethanol can be oxidised to acetic acid, the main compound
 characteristic of vinegar, if the bacterium _Acetobacter_ is present, e.g.
 brought in on the feet of fruit-flies.

The word *Ethanol* brought up a subject I have wanted to do a post on for a
long time. Years ago I read a article called *An Alternative for
Beekeepers:Alcohol Production* The article by G.W.Hayes,Jr. of the
Agriculture Technical Institue  in Wooster,Ohio.
A couple quotes from the article:
"With the assistance of the ATI Chemistry Department personal ,some
impressive results were obtained in producing small quantities of ethanol
from honey."
A table shows the amount of alcohol produced from Corn, Milo, Spring Wheat,
Winter Wheat, Cane Molasses, Beet Molasses, Barley, Cull Potatoes and Sweet
Sorghum.
Then the article says quote:
"Compare the amount of ethanol produced from honey in table 4 to a like
amount of material in table 3. This amount of clean,burnable ethanol far
outdistances ANY of the agriculture product NOW in use to produce ethanol
commercially."
Don't we really need another use for honey besides food?  Couldn't we get
government funds for research with the high cost of gasoline today or is the
strangle hold the oil companies have got on the U.S. to strong?
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri
Ps. the amount of honey consumed per person in the U.S. has remained at 1
pound versus 100 pound for sugar for as long as I can remember despite the
efforts of the National Honey Board. Maybe powering our vehicles with
honey/ethanol might help the U.S.beekeeper. Another buyer in the marketplace
can't hurt the monopoly the honey packers enjoy at this time. Now its *sell
yourself* or *sell to us*.