From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2012 11:39:10 -0500
Bill wrote that a solution to the GMO problem might be to double the
distance between 'organic' apiaries and GMO crops.  The trouble with that  in the
UK is that the siting of such crops is often kept secret. A year or so  ago
we were told that there was to be a crop of oilseed rape grown in the
county  of Somerset but the authorities wouldn't narrow it down more than that.
I  keep bees in a large organic orchard in a parish in Dorset on the
Somerset  border and so had no idea whether my bees were within range of GM  pollen
or whether it was 30 miles away.

I don't market my honey as 'organic' as the criteria set by the Soil
Association, the main certifying body, appear to have been translated from a
foreign language by a non-beekeeper.

Chris