From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 22:11:54 +1000
>> This is a matter for Geof M, Trevor W or Peter D or any other Aussie in
>> the
>> list to answer.
>> I am just rising the question.
>>
>> Ah, and I am talking about 8 frames boxes with 8 frames. Not 10 frames
>> boxes
>> with 8 frames.
>
> OK I take the hint.  Trevor is no doubt busy with Brisbane show.  I will
> see him on Saturday.

Not at the Show today.  Doing some bee work for a change.  As Geoff said,
back on Saturday to clear up.

I am not sure why the difference in Australia.  As Geoff said the 8 framers
are mainly in Victoria and some in New South Wales.  South Australia has a
majority of 10 framers and in Queensland it is the vast majority of 10
framers.  Will leave the Western Australian situation to Peter.

I use 9 frames in the 10 frame box.  Why 10 frames are tight is that our 10
frame box is only 16 inches wide and not 16 1/4 as in the USA (I am told).
The reason for the 1/4 less is because back when we started with the
Langstroth hive, a lot of beekeepers used old kerosene cases (which held 4 X
4 gallon tins) as boxes . These were 16 inches wide so when they started
using manufactured boxes they stayed with the 16 inches so they were
interchangeable with the kerosene cases.

I prefer the 9 frames in the 10 frame box for drone colonies.  I find that
having one full drone comb in an 8 frame box (leaving 7 frames for brood)
seems to be a bit much compared to the 8 frames for brood plus the drone
comb in the 10 frame box.

Might have to do some looking at why we have 8's and 10's in Australia and
what influenced the decision.

Re the ferals, I have seen many in the open and some had less than 8 combs
others had up to 12.  In the tree situation, the number of combs depends on
the size of the cavity.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA