Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 18:38:09 -0400
Hi everyone.  I have a quetion for the more experienced beekeepers out
there.  My three hives made it through a rough winter!  However, one of them
appears to be weak.  Two have bees, brood etc... in both hive bodies  and
look quite strong.  The first one however, has bees in only 1 box, the top
super being almost completely empty. ( there is plenty of honey in all the
hives)  I gave it a frame of capped brood last friday to give it a boost.
There is capped and uncapped brood in the weak hive and I spotted the queen
and she seems to be healthy ( good wings...)  My question is:  should I just
leave the weak hive alone, let it nurse itself back to normal strength?  or
should I combine it with one of the other hives and create one really strong
hive?  I've been reading on the list lately about 2-queen systems and maybe
this would be one way to go.  I have a couple of ross round supers so I
could try my hand at comb production  if I do decide to try the 2-queen
system.  Another question:  With the 2-queen hive, when should I put this
thing together?  The dandelions are just barely starting here in Central NY
so should I wait until a good flow or do it now and give the hive a chance
to get used to two queens?
Thanks for any advice/info.
James Jacobs