From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 22:00:55 +0100
Hi Randy

I cannot disagree with anything that you have written, but you have ignored
one factor - the genetic inclination to swarm rather than to supersede.

Here in the UK, many of us are trying to breed native bees (A.m.m.) which do
just that.  This spring I was sad to see that my best breeder queen was no
longer with us after four years of producing excellent crops from a single
British National brood box with bees that could be handled easily without
smoke, even under adverse weather conditions.  The colony had never tried to
swarm, but late last autumn - after my final inspection - they superseded
her and I found her daughter in charge this spring.

How I wish that all my colonies were like that one.