From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 07:07:45 -0500
<This report refers to Neonicotinoids as "...one of the most advanced and
targeted forms of crop protection." Poisoning an entire crop and the soil
besides is more analogues to a nuclear strike in my books. But it sounds
safe to me. What could possibly go wrong?>

I have to disagree with the nuclear strike analogy.  I'm hardly a fan of
pesticides in general, but I'm also rather pragmatic.  You're saying that
seed treatments that go into the targeted plant and to a lesser degree the
soil around it are a nuclear strike?  So what then do you call older
altenatives like crop dusting?  They cover everything, wind up in the soil,
in the runoff, in the air, on every plant and animal in the vicinity...
They must be total global annihilation by comparison.

I suppose RNAi technologies and the like potentially provide a more
targeted approach when/if they come to market.  But what do we currently
have that is more targeted?  There could very well be something, but short
of hand picking off bugs I haven't heard of anything.  If I'm missing
something please let me know.

Jeremy
West Michigan