From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 11:36:38 -0700
 Hello All,  Here in western Washington USA the press has started to talk
about the lack of bees this year.People do notice that there apple trees
have no bees on them , when they are in full bloom. I think the Honeybee
will do her own PR work to get help.Maybe the negative press that
beekeepers did get about government hand outs , might go over the sunset.
   You don't have to say too much to the public , just tell them to look
for themselves. We must have had feral colonys all over western
washington. It looks bleak to people that have there special fruit tree
and no bees to pollenate it.Maybe this is a good wake up call for
everyone.A lot of animals and birds depends on seeds and wild fruit for
survival.
  We are not having the best of weather around the country either. This
should bring out the best in us as, beekeepers and researchers. We can
not take any part of this mite problem , as just one problem.It is
complex with Varroa a known vector for 3 viruses. Ten out of ten states
checked for virus , show positive results. It would be very benificial
for every beekeeper to try and find a hive with a low cout of Varroa in
the fall. The USDA needs our help and we need theres. It would be nice to
get a little feedback on how many Queens they have recieved to work with
on a breeding program against Varroa. I know that some beekeepers are
doing that themselves also.
 Real feral colonys are going to 0 around here. By next spring bees will
be in great demand for small farmers.It looks like we can all learn
something out of this problem.The Honeybee is more than a latin name in a
biology book, it is a key player in all of nature. I know why a lady went
on to get a PhD., so she could even learn more about this wonderful
insect.She is one of many , who are trying to study and learn more about
our honeybee.All of us need to help in any way that we can. Just by
looking at our bees a little closser and paying a little more attention
to there behavior , we may see something that can help everyone.
  I worked with my bees yesterday, we had sun and a lot of wind at my
place. I did some requeening and splits. I came accross 4 or 5 hives that
were low on brood and just not doing well. I requeened them , but it was
more than a new queen could do for them. I'm going to check for TM. I
guess I look back at beekeeping before the mites and it was easy to get a
hive of carni's up in 3 deeps full of brood in may and about 200 pounds
of honey in the fall. Now I hope to get them thru the winter and going at
all during the spring. I have some hives that are in 4 deeps and 2 supers
right now.I have a new queen in there also.I started feeding pollen and
syurp in Jan.We had a mild wet winter.Now you better be on top of your
bees or your out of bees.I will be glad to look back at this time and say
, boy we made it with a lot of work by many.
 Best Regards
Roy