From:
Jim Osborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 19:23:00 -0800
You're better off concentrating on the hummingbird plants,
as well as your feeder, and painting the hives a dark green,
or a pattern if you prefer.  No point in attracting the
hummers to the hives, where they might be attacked.  Honeybees
won't fight competitors for forage, unlike hummingbirds, but
yellowjackets will.  Remember to use sugar, NOT honey, in
your hummingbird feeders, and to take them down after August 1,
so they'll stick to their migration schedule.

We've seen an increase in hummingbirds the last few years,
on Camano Island, some 75 miles north of Seattle.

Hummingbird plants in addition to those you listed (there are books
and books of them) could include: Trumpet Vine, Globe Thistle,
Honeysuckle, Crocosmia.  We notice the first hummers when the native
Red Currant blooms.