From:
B Farmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2013 11:33:23 -0500
>The modern world has become dependent on grains.  We did not evolve to eat grains.
One of the big advantages with grain is that we can grow grains in huge fields.  This
makes it easy to plant, easy to grow and easy to harvest.  And how is all this possible?
IT REQUIRES NO POLLINATION BY BEES or other pollinators.

If we didn't evolve to eat grains, why are our teeth adapted to eating grains?  If our teeth were not adapted to eating grain, the staples of diets of civilizations around the world would not have been rice, wheat, spelt, barley, millet, etc.

The big advantages of grains HAVE NOTHING to do with field size, ease of planting, ease of growing, or ease of harvest.  In fact, some grains are a pain to plant, grow, and harvest.  Just look at the rice paddies.
The big advantages of grains are long shelf life, easy to transport, and high calories and nutritional content.

Whether or not a food requires insect pollination is irrelevant to whether or not our diet is dependent upon it.

Corn is estimated to provide 21% of human nutrition.  However, most corn is fed to animals, and then we eat the animals.  Corn is actually classified by botanists as a FRUIT, so that kills the argument of the world being dependent on grains.  We're dependent on fruits, vegetables, and nuts - many of which ARE insect pollinated.