From:
Mary Jane Phifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 09:33:20 -0400
We requeened two large aggressive hives late summer- one queen did not take.  That hive made queen cells so we left it alone, but the girls tore these down too.  Ordered two more queens, in case one would not take again, and split this LARGE hive into two halves.  Wouldn't you know, both queens took.

Now we have essentially two large nucs with good laying queens.  Our other 5 hives all have new queens this year- so I hate to "waste" a queen if we don't have to.

How best to handle the situation?  Have had a pretty good honey flow this fall- perilla mint, aster, etc and we have been feeding 2:1 as well, topping them off.

Ideas???  Current thinking???