From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 20:50:07 -0800
On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Adony Melathopoulos wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, David Eyre wrote:
>
> > Hi Adony,
> >              Some time ago I put a posting to the list about this with a
> > request. We live in a back water, do not have access to a library, or past
> > issues of ABJ. Would it not be nicer and more constuctive to spend a few
> > moments to give us a precis of that article? Provided we ensure that the
> > authors name is quoted, then I would consider it a service to the list.
> >                                         Regards Dave..
Again, sorry to be a nag, but be very careful if you attempt to use these
> compounds in your colonies.  First they are not registered, so you may be
> breaking the law by using them.  Second they may be toxic to the bees in your
> colonies.
Hi Adony, You did a very good job on your post. The part that I cut out
is very important. We have researchers that are working on ways to stop
Varroa.The problems that you can have with mixing compounds , can get out
of hand very fast.You might kill the mite and mask the larva feeding
Pheromone at the same time. When we know that there are over 200
pheromones in the hive , that control the hive to some degree. I think
saying that is safe.We really need to watch and study all of the affects
of the chemical on the bees and even the plastic frames. I remember when
we used penta on our wood boxs all the time.They had studies that showed
no problem for the test peroid.More tests and time then it went to no
penta in the hive.
  I would not be so set against chemicals in the hive , if I though that
they would not have a negative impact on the honeybee. See we use the
honeybee here in the Puget Sound area of washington state to check our
enviornment for pollution.They have been effective in picking up very
small trace amounts of hazardous material from the air and water.
 The talk about replacing old comb was very good. It works and keeps down
the amount of pathogens you have in your hive.Think about the wood
also.We get something in the wood that slows down any part of bee
development or life span then we have a problem. I have a little
background in chemistry and my oldest son  is a SR. Chem major at U of
Wash. We talk about how beekeepers can get into trouble doing there own fixs.
 We are all in the same bind.I don't want to loose one hive to Varroa. I
lost over 30 because of the stress and treating to late in the fall. I
want to see that Carni Bee  from Austria  that bits Varroas legs off.Now
thats the kind of killer bee we need. No chemicals , they just don't put
up with Varroa.Think about the time and money that we would all save ,
not to mention the important part the BEE.
 Bee Happy
 Roy