From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:29:08 -0500
Have there been any good scientific studies of small cell recently? All the older ones I have seen have been all
over the board, especially when done by advocates.

Also, are there any small cell queen suppliers (just curious). I would think that there would be a market, but
only if small cell has been accepted by enough beekeepers so there is a market. There is a market for foundation.

It was interesting reading about Randy's small cell experiments. I am running my own and so far have mixed
results. My 4.9 colony died off fairly quickly last winter, probably from Tracheal, not Varroa. The colony on
5.1 has done well, but we shall see come spring. Neither was treated for Varroa (OA), but I did treat the 5.1
for Tracheal (Crisco) this fall, something I have not done for many years.

The 4.9 colony was always fairly weak compared to the 5.1 and both came from the same stock. Hard to gain any
hard info from that, but it does give me pause here in Maine. I have overwintered on 5.0, so do not see what the
difference would do to the bees. And, as noted, the 5.1 are fine so far.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine