From:
George Fergusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 18:29:58 -0400
mark berninghausen wrote:
> So, I am wondering if the absconding gene of AHB has some how gotten
>  into the general population of our queens? Could this be one of the
>  reasons for CCD?

Hi Mark-

I can't answer your question, but it caused me to I recall a
discussion on Beesource in which Dennis Murrell related his experience
with what sounds like CCD back in the early 70's. I thought it was
relevant so I searched a bit and found it:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I've experienced the same kind of bee trouble in the early 70's
> before mites and beetles, treatments, etc. I'd inspect a beeyard in
> the late spring. It would be a boomer. Returning 3 days later, all
> the bees would be gone with only a few cups of young bees, lots of
> honey and brood, and the occasional queen left in the hives. A yard
> would be left with a hive or two of unaffected bees.
>
> There wouldn't be any evidence of pesticide poisoning as no dead bees
>  would be found in the yard. And this occurred before any pesticide
> were applied to the crops.
>
> At the time, we called this disappearing disease. It was devastating
> when, at its height, I lost about 400 colonies per week. Most of the
> losses occurred in the Western states.
>
> Once the dandelions starting blooming the disease abated.
>
> It was attributed by researchers at the Laramie Bee Lab to an influx
> of African genetics .

The entire thread can be found here:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200920

Oh. Now I notice the original thread was started by you Mark :)

Anyways, I was surprised at the diagnosis of "African genetics" so I did
some digging and discovered that the USDA had been importing africanized
bee semen from Brazil to Baton Rouge as early as 1959 and africanized
queens and semen were subsequently shipped to Madison Wisconsin in the
early 60's. From "Killer Bees Live Calmly in U.S." August, 1991 - By
Thomas Ropp - The Arizona Republic:

> "It's common knowledge among larger commercial beekeepers," said Dee
> Lusby, president of the Arizona Beekeepers Association. "The USDA bee
> lab in Baton Rouge (La.) received Aficanized bee semen from Brazil 30
> years ago and made the offspring available to beekeepers in this
> country and around the world."

The entire Arizona Republic article can be found here:

http://www.beesource.com/news/article/azrepublic.htm

Interesting reading. Interesting subject.

George-
George Fergusson
Whitefield Maine