From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 23:01:45 -0600
> This was the case at one time.  However numerous test have been developed
> to ferret out honey that has been cut with syrup.  It is virtually
> impossible to get doctored syrup past a large user.

Yup; I understand that tests are effective down to about 5% or so
adulteration, an that is pretty well as accurate as necessary.

>  Local byres have
> discerning taste and most can tell if there is syrup in honey or at least
> if it is not up to snuff.  The beekeeper that sells doctored honey, will
> be the only one eating it in very short order.  I also believe I read an
> article in one of the journals that Canadian had turned back several
> shipments of honey from China that had been doctored.

True.  I saw some of it (Chinese) sitting at a co-op I belong to.
Domestic (Canadian) buyers for a large chain had insisted on getting it
for a (cheap)  blend.  After inspecting it the co-op  themselves called
the feds and had it seized.

Although there are always a few crooks around, the Canadian bee industry
is very vigilant to protect our products and our good name.  Honest
labelling is an important part of that and everyone is watching everyone
else.

Allen