Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2010 23:17:55 -0400
> Goes to show that the term "cedar" must cover quite a gamut.  The cedar
> over here is quite soft and often has rotten or soft  streaks.  Cedar I
> have seen in chests, including Bermuda Cedar, is very different.

> The distinction between hardwoods and softwoods is nothing to do with the
> softness or hardness of the wood itself.

I think most of us who have built furniture for a living are quite aware of
the meaning of the terms hardwood and softwood as applied to species.  The
question asked was not one of terminology.

The question here was regarding suitability of cedar for building frames,
and, I assume, other bee equipment.

The reports seem contradictory, as it seems that some consider the cedar
they have encountered to be solid enough for such applications -- and I
don't doubt their word -- however all the cedar I have seen over here is
insufficiently dense to last in such application.

Assuming that everyone is right, I'm guessing that the reason is that it
depends on the specific type of cedar.